Monday, October 09, 2006

Bonkers conkers competition


This is what British sport is really about: eccentric, traditional and often downright brutal sports like 'conkers'. The World Conker Championships took place in Ashton, Northamptonshire, this weekend. I'm thoroughly gutted that I missed the chance to take part in it and snap away at it. I raced back to the area yesterday from Malvern but - alas - too late.

The sport may be totally bonkers but I say preserve it. Alongside other British classics such as
cheese rolling and bog snorkelling.

I'm always on the lookout for opps to team my PR clients up with these eccentric 'sports'.
Ben & Jerrys sponsor the Conler champs, though I don't know if they do anything interesting with the property. So I'm issuing an appeal here and now to JCB & Trek bikes. JCB could massively scale up the conker champs: how about a demolition ball conkers tournament for Top Gear or Saturday Night Takeaway. Or how about 'man versus cheese' for Trek: the cycle brand could pit its latest downhill mountain bike against Britain's 'fastest cheese' for a feature in Loaded magazine - or simply to create a funny viral video.

No comments: