Monday, February 19, 2007

Comedy connections

Last week a hitherto camouflaged crack squad of comedy connections exploded into view. Although none have borne fruit, as yet, they've gotten me mildly over-excited. If nothing else, they offer me potential opportunities to get some useful feedback on the fat wad of sketches I've written to sell to TV & radio.

Saturday morning, I forced myself to call Tam Cowan, Daily Record columnist, radio and TV show presenter and comedy writer. A friend of my Dad's, Tam is the closest connection and the most likely to offer useful, honest feedback on my material so far.
I was nervous about making the call. All week - in fact, for two weeks, I had procrastinated. Though I believe in the scripts, I had been suffering from a sever case of rejection paranoia. However, I managed to get a grip and gingerly made the call. No answer. Following a rambling voicemail and follow-up text I let it lie. Still heard nothing but I can wait a week or so.

Friday evening, I met up with my old colleagues, and one who I had worked closely with for two years turns out to be pals with the talented Nicholas Burns, who played the lead in Chris Morris and Charlie Brooker's 'Michael-fuckin-Jackson-awesome' Nathan Barley. The pal may offer to read the scripts and give me some clinical feedback. Just what I need. How amazing?


And yet another connection is a fella at work, who has one of Britain's best comedy talents in the family, of all places. However, it will be some time before I'm prepared to have material viewed by someone of his talent, even if I'm ballsy enough to ask.

Nevertheless, interesting for these connections to sort of emerge from seemingly nowhere. And gives me a sense that I'll be able to get some contstructive cricicism on the material so far as well as some ideas on what to do with it.
And, the wheels are in motion now. Wonder that will happen on this new ride?

No comments: